Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Slam Finals (it was good)

It was a good good night and a long good day. After an afternoon with the family at Playland (rides 26-31 on the coaster) I headed over to Heritage Hall to help set up for Finals.

Everything was good. We sold out but turned only a handful away. Every poet was great. The judges were good and steady. Host Graham Olds kept things popping along. TOFU was delicious. I'm so glad to finally see Mike McGee, Shane Koyczan and CR Avery together after everything I have heard about them. They are good and real and good. (Have you counted how many times I said "good?" Good.) I bought their CD. It's good too. Lots of people pitched in to help make things go well, and it worked. The audience was happy. The poets were happy - of course the happiest were the winners: Brendan McLeod, Chrystalene Buhler, Barbara Adler, Zaccheus and alternate Magpie Ulysses. I loved every poet and every poem. Fernando Raguero and Kim Shaughnessy did beautiful sacrifice poems. It was such a good good good night.

So I hope you'll pardon this un-poetic and barely literate description of the night's events. You see, I got just 4 and a half hours of sleep. Luckily I had an on-the-go day at work. A bla bla meeting in the afternoon would have done me in. There's not much worse at work than the excruciating experience of trying to prop the eyes open at 2 in the afternoon while somebody drones on and on about something you read already bla bla bla...It's embarrassing to fall asleep at a table full of co-workers and/or bosses. So I'm glad I didn't. Driving home I listened to the TOFU CD and that kept me awake laughing and crying and saying, "That's a mighty good CD, that is." Then tonight I had to help the girl study for her socials test about Peru and we got all giddy about llamas and potatoes and Lake Titicaca. So now I suppose it tis time to sleep.

I think it's very very GOOOD that I have so much fun that I miss out on sleep. I'd sooner be running on empty from time to time and being part of this GOOD GOOD fun and creative artistry than to miss it and get a solid 8 every night.

Good finals! Good community! Good friends! Good poetry! Gooood nigggghhhhht.

question - ever been so tired you could sleep on the roller coaster?

mompoet - good and tired, and good

No comments: