Sunday, May 15, 2005

Beautiful Rain

What a comforting sound to hear rain on the roof in the night. It's been a long time since we have had a good long, thick rain. I am glad to see it. I have friends who are camping, and I wish they weren't out there in their tents, but aside from that, rain is good. Sitting in my warm kitchen, looking at the water dripping off of the rhododendrons is cozy and delicious.

When we were little and Mom and Dad took us camping at Douglas Fir or Silver Fir campground near Mount Baker, we would retreat to the picnic shelter on rainy days. I remember a big box of 64 crayolas and grill cheese sandwiches with homemade bread and cheddar cheese, and Campbell's soup made for our lunch on a Coleman stove. Walking through the forest in rubber boots, the ground stayed dry for a long time, protected by the high, dense canopy.

The dog likes the rain too. She has such thick fur she doesn't get soaked to the skin, and when we get inside I dry her with a towel. She loves that. Sometimes when I am folding laundry she comes and looks at me with longing, so I have to pretend that she is wet, and "dry" her all off with one of my towels that I have just folded, she loves it so much.

Rain rain stay today.

question: Will it rain enough today to soak down to the roots?

mompoet - wearing warm socks

No comments: