Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The campaign

Now that the Beast show is over, I am trying to help out as much as I can on the campaign of our local candidate, Karen Rockwell. I've already been out canvassing with her. Now I have begun another door-to-door job, this time a poll. I have to go to the house, ask the person who comes to the door if he or she has decided about voting, and if so who...Then I record the response. There are also ideas for how to talk to undecideds about their choices. I have to take it all back to the campaign office on Saturday. Meantime there's a couple of hundred doors waiting for me. Politi-son is helping. It's good experience for him, and I love his company. He is funny and insightful.

The other night I went to the CUPE BC office and phoned CUPE members living in a couple of ridings and asked the same sort of questions. It's interesting talking to people about their vote. Some are very definite, others very secretive and many seem embarassed or confused. I guess it's a personal question, and maybe I'm intimidating or intrusive just grinning at their door and saying "Hey there neighbour, Who you gonna vote fer?" Oh well. It helps the campaign and now I know even more which dogs belong to which houses.

On election day I've booked off work so I can work all day at a poll. My friend warned me if I'm a "scrutineer" everyone will feel hostile toward me like I'm trying to catch them doing something wrong or impose my point of view. That will be interesting.

question: will this make a difference?

mompoet - maybe to the outcome, certainly to my outlook

No comments: