Tuesday, May 17, 2005

nothing sweet about defeat

I just can't put a positive spin on it. Karen lost in Port Moody Westwood tonight. I still think she deserved to win, and I'm proud of her for her wonderful campaign and grateful for the opportuntiy to have worked for her, even in a small way.

I learned a lot today. It was rockem' sockem for sure. And I can say with certainty that we did what we could and I'm proud of everyone who got involved. I'm proud of everyone who voted. Especially the young ones voting for the first time. There were a lot of them where I was working, a lot with their moms, which made me happy. One guy had me almost in tears he was so earnest and concerned about marking the ballot right.

No matter what, though, it's disappointing to lose. There were lots of cheers at the campaign office as the results came in from around the province. It looks much brighter for BC, even with Gordon Campbell still in control (did I hear he won by only 800 votes?? - yes!) Karen was brave and a good sport but we were sad. When everyone left for the Legion to celebrate with the 4 Tri-City NDP candidates I came home. It was late already and I just want to be here right now - not drinking beer in PoCo and probably crying.

Guess I'll just have to get to know Howdy-Doody-I'm-Alright-Jack-Black for the next 4 years. In the meantime, I'm sure Karen will do great things. But we're all allowed to be sad for a while, right?

question: what could we have done to make it turn out different?

mompoet - I know, I know, we did our best

No comments: