Friday, May 27, 2005

Africa

My sister Barbara will leave at the end of August with her husband and kids to go live in Rwanda for a year. They will be part of a development program called VSO. (I'll have to find out more about it.) They will work as teachers in a town about 15km outside of Kigali. This is something they have wanted to do for a long time. Now the kids are 14, 11 and 9, the timing is just right. They'll be home in time for their eldest to graduate secondary school in Canada. They will do some good, learn about another way of life and have an adventure.

We knew for about a month that they were going "somewhere in Africa." VSO had not yet confirmed their placement. When Barb emailed me and our parents last night to announce the destination, she knew we'd be concerned. I spent about 90 minutes being pretty freaked then I settled down. Barb has sent us this website to find out about life in Rwanda. If you google Rwanda you just get news service after news service (beginning with the CIA - gulp) about all of the violence that continues in parts of the country.

I admire my sister so much. She's the one who pedalled with her husband around South America for 2 years back in the 80s after working in Ecuador on a development project. She lives in Cranbrook where her family and several others have sponsored so many Burmese refugees that Cranbrook now has a small but thriving Burmese community. I miss seeing her a lot, because she lives a 12 hour drive away. Now she'll be on the other side of the world.

I emailed her back right away then talked to Mom and Dad. My feeling is that it's natural for us to worry about them and wish they'd stay home, but we'd feel that wherever they go. I trust their choice, and if they say it's okay. It's okay. They will have an experience that most people would not even dream of. This will change their lives for the better when it's already pretty remarkable.

The good thing about an August departure is that we'll get to spend some time together before they go. In the meantime. I must learn as much as I can about Rwanda.

We are already invited to visit them. Mom and Dad will almost certainly go. If I could find the time and money I would, although it would also take some convincing here. Son and I are in one camp about travel: If we're going to do it, let's be as unusual and adventurous as possible. Kigali is ideal! Husband and daughter say: It has to be safe, and preferably insect-free. We want to go to an all-inclusive in Mexico. So far we just go camping in BC so our difference has not yet been tested. This may be the year we find out.

question: where in the world do you find what you seek?

mompoet - peeking around the corner of the earth

No comments: