Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Dad says my french is no good and words aren't always important

This from my dad in response to my last post:

I'm sure my French is much poorer than yours, but "arachnide" didn't sound right. I have a program which accesses various translation engines and according to http://www.travlang.com neither "arachnide" nor
"arachnid" are French words. Translating from English to French, "spider" becomes "araignee" where the first "e" has an acute accent. (I didn't type the e with acute accent because Macs and Windows machines use different keys for such things; anything which uses the Option key on a Mac or the Alt key on a Windows machine is not to be trusted, and one is advised never to use such characters when cross-platform problems might arise.) "Arachide" does translate to "peanut", as anyone who has looked at a Canadian peanut butter jar knows.

There is more to music than the words. In fact I would argue that good vocal music has to be enjoyable whether you understand the words or not. Bach has a way of treating a vocal soloist as if he or she were another instrument, and there will be sections where he uses a singer and a violin much the same way that he might have used a flute and a violin. If you listen to things like his B minor mass, or the St. Matthew Passion, or the Christmas Oratorio, you can pretty well figure out what is going on whether you know any German or not. But there aren't very many Bachs.

Dad

No comments: