Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Boring Part 2 - Boring is Protection

First a note from my mom after she read Monday's post:

If I had to read a whole week's worth, it would be boring, but, still being a mom, I like reading the minutiae of one day in your life. You would never, never tell me all this in conversation (I hope!).

Doting Mom

Today's Boring Examples: A boring poem and over-boring

My car would not start
I felt in my heart
I would stay put forever
I would never move ever
I sat in the sun
Thinking this is no fun
I am not the still one
I prefer more to run
Drive to a good place
With a smile on my face
In my moving car life
Free from gridlock and strife

I just thought that up while I was watching the debate on television. I would have a big screen tv but those things are just for people who need to look at big screens. I have a pretty small tv which is fine with me because that's the kind my parents and my friends have. Did you see the tie that Gordon Campbell was wearing. Guys with pink ties are alway fiscally conservative. What do you think? I don't care. I think guys with pink ties like to talk about themselves. I think they think they know everything and they don't know when to stop talking about themselves or their ideas. I think they think they are better than guys with yellow ties with black dots like that Van Palmer guy. Yeah I said Van. Yeah, that Van guy he's a yellow tie wearing guy. I think guys with yellow ties are on power trips. Yeah, they're compensating big time. Y'know what I mean. Like they wear yellow ties with black dots all the time because they're lacking something. They lack something so they wear yellow ties. Whatdya think of that? I think they wear those yellow ties because they don't feel competent to wear pink ties like those fiscally conservative pink-tie wearing guys. Am I right? Am I right? Course I'm right! I bet those yellow tie wearing guys also have big screen tvs and they watch tv all night looking for other guys in yellow ties with black dots so they can validate their own choice. Yeah, that's what I think. Right?

If I heard someone say that poem or got blasted with tie talk I would feel sorry for the person who said it. Not just because they think what they're saying is interesting, when it's really boring. Althought that's always kind of sad.

Boring is protection. It's like getting fat or wearing frumpy clothing or being grumpy when you don't really need to. It's a way of closing up into safety. Protective armour.

I do it myself when I suddenly realise I'm opening up too much in conversation. This little self-monitoring part of my brain says, "Oops, connection imminent. Too risky." Then the boring mechanism kicks in and I switch to inane bla bla and the person I'm talking too goes from interested to glazed and finds an excuse to get out of the conversation pretty fast. It's taken me a long time to figure this out, and I wonder if anyone else does it, so now I'm watching for it in conversations.

That's all about boring for this morning. Tomorrow I will talk about too much information and detail.

This is really boring isn't it? GOOD!

question: open or closed?

mompoet - bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla Right?


No comments: