Friday, May 06, 2005

Boredom Part 4 - The end

I'm sorry this is posted late...shaw has been up and down today, so I hope you can still find a copy of Friday's Vancouver Sun if you are interested. You need a secret code and a million dollars to read their articles on the web, unfortunately.

I was going to write about why people are bored, but I won't because this morning's Vancouver Sun has a 2-page special report on boredom. There are historical, philosophical and psychological perspectives, suggestions for overcoming or re-framing boredom and thoughts about boredom as a product of anxiety and the pyschological link between boredom and death.

The articles in the report say more better than I could. I think they are right on.
All of this has got me thinking about my own relationship with boredom. I am almost always busy and enthusiastic, able to see the positive side of things. I generally think almost everything is funny in one way or another. But I have a sneaking suspicious that part of my busy-happy persona is fear. Of what, I do not know. I'm sure not going to stop enjoying life, but it's like I got a glimpse of that sad river again. What is it? It's natural to be afraid or angry sometimes, and I know I'm not good at acknowledging or accepting those emotions in myself or in other people.

It's interesting to me. I'll put this in the cooker (that autopilot part of my consciousness that solves problems while I am swimming) and see if I can figure it out. I don't want to be bored, or sad, or dead. I'm just curious.

question: is that enough about boring?

mompoet - enough for me, for now

No comments: