Sunday, May 01, 2005

Show-done

Beauty and the Beast closed today with a matinee performance. Our daughter asked me to wait until the last performance to see her cast (because that will be the best performance, she said). It was very good. She was very good. Lots of people who loved her were in the audience. Thank you to everyone who came today and on the other days. I think she knew someone out there every single show.

My daughter can dress up as an old man in a fat suit and sing to theatre filled with 500 people and enjoy it, and be good at it. WOW. Okay, I cried for about 80% of the show today. Those kids are just great, and this experience was wonderful for them. And I'm a big ball of gooey mooosh. Andy came with me. He was polite and did not giggle at me. I appreciate that very much.

After the show the kids helped clean up the green room and dressing rooms. Our daughter was downstairs for a long time. When I asked her why she took so long, she said that she was crying and so were a bunch of the kids. There's such a buildup to the show, then they do a dozen performances, then it's over. She went off to a cast party after cleanup, and there will be classes until mid-June so she doesn't have to go cold turkey on Lindbjerg.

Andy and I stuck around to help put the show away. This involved disassembling set pieces, loading large and small items into rented trucks and unloading and putting away in a storage place where Lindbjerg keeps props, costumes and sets. We got done about 8:30pm. It was fun seeing bits and pieces from shows that our daughter has done in past years, all leaning against the walls and stuffed into tubs in the locker. I appreciate her teachers that much more for their resourcefulness and hard work.

Now it's bedtime. Andy has a sore shoulder from unloading something particularly heavy. Cast party is over and daughter is home. No more show tomorrow. What will we do with all of our spare time?

Oh yeah, the election and the poetry slam, and semester-end projects and exams, and mother's day, and my sister's going to Africa for a year at least so I need to get to Cranbrook before she leaves, and our son turns 15 on Friday so there's a party to plan. I guess we still have lots to do.

question: the show is never over, is it?

mompoet - bumpity bump bump....

No comments: