Saturday, May 07, 2005

Big Fish Day

Today I helped out while about 1,000 neighbours came to the community school and put fingerling salmon into Stoney Creek. Ujjal Dosanjh was there. So was Bill Siksay, who used to be Svend Robinson's assistant but is now a North Burnaby MP. So were the local provincial candidates. And the media came out in waves...The creek was full of big fish, actually.

The little fish swam, oblivious to the hullaballoo. I saw a 20 year old volunteer get misty about letting 3 little critters into the creek. She'd never done that before. Holding a live fish in your hand and sending it out with hope that it will become an adult and make lots more fish one day is a moving experience.

I also saw a 230 pound dog, which stayed out of the creek like a good dog. Owner is a gillnet fisherman who honours the work of the streamkeepers. It really was a love and procreation festival, you know. The dog's name is Mr. Marshall and he let me pet him. His head was the size of a lawn chair.

As volunteer coordinator, I got to manage about 50 secondary students working at the event, hosting info booths, guarding the parking lot, welcoming guests and working the sound system on the entertainment stage. That's the best part for me. Most of these kids have been coming to the festival since they were in kindergarten or preschool. By the time they're 15, 16, 17 you'd think they would be too cool to play with fish, but they come and help, with remarkable talent and enthusiasm. Every time I do this my confidence in the future of the world is restored. These guys will be taking care of business when we are old. We will be okay!

By the way, they ate 5 dozen muffins, 50 cups of coffee, 15 litres of orange juice and some tea. We also fed them lunch.

I love my job, I love my community. Working Saturday is okay when it's something like this.

question: ever let a fish go? did you like it?

mompoet - just lucky I guess

No comments: