Friday, May 18, 2007

opening night

Anne of Green Gables opens tonight. That's our daughter's show. Rehearsals have been happening since September for this full-length musical theatre production. There are about 30 kids in the cast. I have pretty much finished sewing costumes and I'm now on to my volunteer job for the run of the show: rescue costume lady. If anything turns out to be hemmed too long or in need of renovations or if anything gets torn, soiled or crushed during the run of the show, it will come home to me at night and I will fix it in time for the next performance. During the dress rehearsals and previews I have been called on for a lot of hemming, and I had to put the pucker into Gilbert Blythe's knickerbockers. (I just had to say that because of the way it sounds, but it is true.)

Normally I would also be driving to and from the theatre and doing a lot of waiting with a book while rehearsals finish up. This time is different. Andy got called in on Sunday morning to help with load-in (hauling set pieces and props from storage to the theatre, and helping to set them up on the stage), something he's done before. But before he got a chance to leave the theatre, the stage manager handed him a paintbrush and a screwdriver and asked him what he was doing with all of his spare time for the next two weeks. Now he's on stage crew. So he's driving to the theatre every day, and wearing black clothing, and running around in the dark pushing heavy objects on and off the stage. I am delighted that he and Fiona have this opportunity to share an activity. Although it does feel weird to be secondary parent on this project. Oh well, Alex and I have been having some fun in the evenings while Andy and Fi are busy with the show. We'll go watch it tonight, then again next Friday, so we can see both casts (every actor learns and plays 2 parts, each on alternating nights).

Last night Alex and I went for a long walk with the dog. He told me that he doesn't mind that we aren't rich, like some of the people on TV. We talked about how we are rich, compared to most people in the world. Rich people's "normal" really isn't normal, but neither is ours. We have everything that we need plus a few scoops extra. We decided we are as rich as anyone really needs to be.

question: what's your family doing this weekend?

mompoet - rich

No comments: