Thursday, October 07, 2004

Hi Mom, Hi Dad!

My parents drive up to Cranbrook today to spend the Thanksgiving weekend with my sister and her husband and kids. I miss them already.

I don't know why I always feel this way when they are away from home, but I do. I'm not worried for their safety. I'm not jealous that they got to go and I didn't. It's no trouble, really. They don't even ask me to feed their cat. It's more like my world is a bit off kilter when they are not where they're supposed to be. It's like my big picture of "all is well" has a piece temporarily out of place. There's a word for it. I'll find it and post it later.

When they're home we can go for days without a phone call or visit - it's not like we're the kind of people who check in even if we have nothing to say. It's more about knowing, "Yup, they're there. Good." I've talked to them about about it so they know. They make an extra effort to stay in touch because of it. They take along their computer notebook and check email and send me reports on how the trip is going. We probably talk more about the details of their day when they are away than when they are home.

I wonder if it's because I'm the first child, and I've never quite let go of all of my identification with them. Maybe it's my stubborn streak - not wanting anything to happen that I didn't plan. But I don't think so.

Gestalt - there it is.

Oh well, nice to know I'm weird in more than one way. But this is a nice part of weirdness, mostly to do with loving, I think.

Hi Mom, Hi Dad. I hope you're having a good trip.

Question: Is that the right word?

mompoet - balancing on a three-legged chair

No comments: