Monday, March 26, 2007

something new

My job in recreation involves creating and inventing fun and healthy things for people to do in their spare time. Because I specialize in community development I don't make things up all by myself. Instead, I mostly hang around and wait for people to say things like, "I'd really like to have a cooking class about all of the the things you can do with fiddleheads." Then I say, "Could I help you get that going?" That's my job in a nutshell. It's goofy and fun, and more important than it looks sometimes.

Anyway, today I was spending my own leisure time before work in the butt-burning sweatbox cycle class. The instructor put on a slow song at the end of the class to help us stop churning and get ready to stretch. She said something about downloading some music she'd heard on the radio, but she changed her mind about using this song in the class, because when she listened to it all the way through, it was so sad it made her cry. She said, "I'm not playing any song in this class that makes me cry."

This made me think of a new fitness class for people who prefer to cry. EMO-Fit. The class would be in a very dark room, so participants would not have to look at any part of their bodies, or be concerned if they did not have enough black clothing to keep up with the people beside them. Most of the exercises would involve lying on the floor in the fetal position, with maybe a little rocking and whimpering, but there could also be short burst of frantic running and sobbing.

Now I just have to hang around and wait for someone to ask me to create it. I'll pretend it wasn't my idea all along.

question: is this weird?

mompoet - it's okay, I know it's weird.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Doesn't sound weird to me, mp. Where do I sign up?

Muhd Imran said...

I'd rather go watch a sad movie... the theater is dark, you can cry if you want to, but with a large coke and popcorns!