Saturday, February 18, 2006

unhinged in burnaby

Last night, Mom, Robin and I saw Mom's the Word - Unhinged at the Shadbolt Centre in Burnaby. It was a celebration for us for a couple of reasons. First, we were celebrating Mom and Robin's birthdays. The evening at the show was my gift to them both. Second, we three saw the original Mom's the Word together when it first came out, about 14 years ago.

The play is hilarious and true and emotionally authentic. Four of the actors are from the original 6 who did the first show. It's a collaborative piece, with monologues, group scenes and hilarious musical numbers. And yes, the "naked mom" scene from Mom-1 is reprised, delightfully so.

Robin, Mom and I reflected about how we are in a very similar situation to where we were when we saw the first installment. At that time, Mom was a first time grandma who had "been there, done that." I was a dazed and crazed new mom. Robin was anticipating the day when she would be too. This time I'm the actual mom of teenagers, like the moms in the show. Robin has a 6 year old who will be a teenager (ready or not!). Mom has "been there, done that."

The play was better than most sequels. It was every bit as delightful and real as the first, but more polished and mature. Just like moms of teens, I guess. We are still dazed and crazed, but more at peace with being so, and able to articulate our experience better than when we were shell-shocked newcomers to motherhood. I guess we have a bit of perspective. That's how I felt about the evolution of the play from Part 1 to Part 2, anyhow.

The show is touring the 'burbs right now. If you get a chance to go, please do. Bring your mom, your sister, your "frister" (that's Robin). You will laugh your pants off and also cry a bit.

question: seen any good sequels lately?

mompoet - dazed and crazed but at peace with it

2 comments:

Carol said...

Mango and I saw the original.I can't remember what year it was, but we were
both pretty new at the mother stuff.

I bought a copy of the play but never read it. If there is a new one, I might have to.

mompoet said...

I hope it will come to your neck of the woods so you can see it.
mp