Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I won

Last night I won the CBC Poetry Face Off. It was a very good contest. Cafe Deux Soleils was packed to the rafters. They turned people away at the door it was so full. My family and friends were there. The competition was friendly, with hugs and handshakes shared among the poets before and after.

I read first and I knew it went well, because nobody twitched/rustled/coughed. There's a special feeling when the audience is with you and you're almost breathing the poem together. I felt it last night. That's the best prize of all.

Five poets, all as different as you can imagine. Roger told about the irresistibility of Death, who visited him as a drag queen carrying an injection needle. Kim confessed an obsession for people who wear braces on their teeth. Sean told of a conversation with him mom, all around the topic "why?" Elizabeth proclaimed that her poem was free of graphicality and profanity then teased us with every sideways reference ever thought up, plus some new ones, including a very funny action song "fa la la la la." My poem was about overcoming resistance. I told about a pillow conversation between Andy and me when the kids were very little. I'll post it in a couple of days, and I'll find out when it will be on the radio next weekend and I'll let you know.

This CBC Poetry Face Off is a great deal. Seventy poets across Canada are showcased (and paid). In April the winners from each city will be posted on the CBC website so listeners may vote. The winner of that contest will be declared Canadian champion. I am so happy to see poetry getting this kind of attention. Poetry is fun and playful and dramatic and compelling. The Face Off celebrates this.

This morning I am tired, happy and still in a state of semi-disbelief.

question: did that really happen? or was it a dream?

mompoet - spinning (gratefully)

6 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

Woo Hoo!!! You go girlfriend! I love that feeling of absolutely knowing the audience is right there with you. Of course we all you knew you were a girl genius...how nice that others know it now too!

mompoet said...

Thank you friends!
mp

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

Good for you!!!!!

mompoet said...

Thanks Andrew!
mp

Carol said...

Congratulations Mompoet. Wow!
We (as in my Husband and Daughter) are big CBC fans so make sure to give dates and times. Then I will get to hear you after all.

mompoet said...

Gee, thanks Carol! I'll be sure to let you know.
mp