Saturday, April 23, 2005

Why I am glad I am not the mother of precocious and uninhibited quadruplet girls

At 2:45pm Friday I showed up at the backstage door at the theatre, and picked up the girls. Four little actor girls. First thing they did was trade in one of their friends for another. I should have taken this as a warning.

My job was to chaperone the quartet between their afternoon "schoolbus" performance and their opening night show. Call time for the latter: 6:30.

So I checked in with the traded-off member of the gang, who was actually relieved to be spending the break time with quieter friends and their mom. The new addition fitted the group perfectly because shetalksnon-stopjustlikethemandofteninababy-talkvoiceandshesquealslikeadentistdrillandshecantalkatthesametimeaseveryoneelseanditsokaywithherEEEEEEEEE!

Starting home to Port Moody in early rush hour at 3, dropping of 3 girls, keeping one, then reversing the operation in time to return to Maple Ridge at 6:30 would have been one long slow ride in a sardine can with talk-0-trons, so we stayed in Maple Ridge. They were all "STARVING RIGHT NOW!!" so I took them to White Spot where they demonstrated that this was not an exaggeration. Then we went to the mall. I hate the mall (Say that fast and it sound like "I hate them all" but I don't really.) We went into every store and they talked loudly and squealed and picked up everything and opened everything and knocked everything off shelves and swung their little purses and flounced around and cooed and squealed when they met gaggles of friends from the show also cruising the mall. They actually purchased freezies (for the freezer in the greenroom) They comparison-shopped for freezies for about 25 minutes. I felt like my toenails were being removed. Well, they did get the best deal, saving about .00001 cent per freezie. They also had a spirited argument about the most suitable flavour, then ended up buying four small packages each the same. They also bought m&ms. Then they stopped for an orange julius. Then they went to the dollar store. I sat outside with a coffee. They bought silly string, lip gloss and something else, I can't remember. Then they had their picture taken, all 4 of them in an automated photo booth. Then they stressed and paced for 5 minutes while they waited for the pictures to pop out, then they fought over who got what picture.

I took them back to the theatre at 6:30. There were too many moms signed up to help - they didn't need me, so I bought a ticket and watched the show. It was spectacular. Those kids are so good. I cried for about the last half hour, partly because I'm a mom, so I'm entitled, partly out of exhausted frazzledness from my chaperone shift.

I love those girls. I am glad only one of them is mine. I am grateful that someone else is chaperoning next Friday's gap time.

question: ???

mompoet - blessed with singletons

No comments: