Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Talking to myself?

Did you wonder why I'm posting all of the comments? It seems that you have to have your own blog on blogger to be allowed to post a comment. I'm toying with the idea of setting up a dummy blog and giving everyone I know the password so you don't have to go to the trouble.

Question: Can anyone think of a better way?

In the meantime, email me your comments and answers to question of the day. I'll post 'em as mompoet.

I bought 20 pounds of apples and 18 pounds of pears on Sunday. They have been sitting in boxes, getting eaten as we pass, but not all of them. Today the pears were at the beginning of their rype cycle so I canned some "pear honey" (recipe from Louise). It's pretty yummy and does indeed taste like honey. Gonna make me some applesauce too, and some pear sauce. Yum.

Pear Honey

9 cups finely chopped pears (Thanks for the Cuisinart you gave us when we got married, Mom and Dad. It still works great.)
1 cup finely chopped pineapple
juice and grated zest of one lime
5 cups sugar (hey, it's okay, it has pears in it too)

Stir and bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes. Can - process for 20.

Here is a poem:

Bartlett

Curving flare of supple yellow green

Skin yields

To biting edge without snap

Sweet middle slide

Forever wish inside

Catches

Grinding stop


To chew again

Find middle juice

Echoes

Of wiry tree


Flesh

Too fine to bear

Until only core is there

Jam is done. Good night. Remember to listen to the radio on Wednesday: 2pm 102.7fm Coop Radio - Wax Poetic. (but don't listen to the snap of lids - never!)

mompoet - earwax prophetic

No comments: