Saturday, September 11, 2004

Missed the Bride

Phew. I'm home from Whistler, but I missed the wedding. An accident on the highway stopped traffic for an hour or so. By the time I got back to Port Moody it was just past 1pm, and the ceremony was underway. Luckily I had a cell phone, so I could call my family and nobody worried about me. If I'd left Whistler 15 minutes earlier, I would have been home early. If I'd left 10 minutes earlier, maybe I would have been part of the accident. It was pouring rain and the wind was gusting, and that highway is tricky. When the traffic finally got moving I drove past the scene: a big truck down on its side and two cars, pretty well smashed. I hope everybody was okay, but it looked bad.

So I'll make it to the reception this evening, but I won't see the wedding itself. I've never met the bride and groom. The bride is my husband's boss's daughter. The boss has been really good to us. He's a super nice guy, and treats my husband like a member of the family, so I'm delighted to be part of the celebration.

Friday in Whistler was a hoot. I predicted right. I can barely talk today I laughed so much. I drove up in time for brunch at the condo. Then we played mini golf which became extra fun when it started to rain so we simultaneous speed-golfed the last 3 holes. Then we sat at the pub for a while, then came back to the condo for the hot tub, supper and some goofy games. We stayed up past midnight just talking and laughing our guts out. My neighbour, one of the ladeez, was so silly I could not stop laughing at her silliness. Worse, when we finally hauled ourselves to bed, I was sharing a bed with her and she wouldn't stop talking. We'd just get settled down then one of us would say something again and we'd start giggling. Finally I said, "Now I'm going to dive head first into sleep. Good night." She said, "Okay, me too." and we slept.

I am blessed to know these women whose company nourishes my soul. We're part of each other's lives every day. Our September weekend is a treasure. Together we speak a language of words and actions that belongs to us, bonds us and strengthens us as individuals and friends.

Question: who feeds your soul?

mompoet - tired, hoarse, happy, and ready to put on a party face


1 comment:

mompoet said...

From my wonderful, silly friend:

What fun it was!! I do like to sleep with you. Ha-ha. You are truly a wonderful poet and writer. I'm enjoying the blog.