Last year I was fortunate to book slam champions Barbara Adler and Brendan McLeod to come with me to do the presentation. They had the kids on fire with a combination of performance, discussion and exercises. There was definitely some magic happening. My presentation was a bit closer to teacher/mom style, because that's who I am, but I think they had fun, and they did write some pretty good stuff.
Here are a couple of impressions:
- If you love math, "The square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides" is poetry.
- my apple smells like secrets
- sometimes it's hard to remember all of the five senses
- the word "loins" is funny to 11 year olds
- the noisiest, unruliest kids wrote the most poetry and some of the coolest lines
- if you are a grade 6/7 teacher on a day filled with chocolate and budding hormones, you are a very hard-working person
- I like kids
Fifteen minutes into the hour I was sweating. By the end I felt very satisfied. Next year I hope I can book some slam heroes again. That would be fun to do one more time.
question: where do you find poetry?
mompoet - I found it in a room that smelled like stinky running shoes