Wednesday, March 22, 2006

tasty tuesday leftovers

Being too tired last night to create a Tasty Tuesday post, I went to bed and slept like a yule log. It was tasty, I tell you.

That is my first tasty thought today (I think the suggested number is 3). No matter what has happened during the day, I can always sleep and start up again in the morning. I am blessed with the gift of almost instant oblivion. I can sleep anytime, anywhere, and get there very quickly. Sleep is a big, dark, warm, welcoming cave that is always available for me as I run through my days of go-go-go-go-go-go-stop. I know a lot of people can't do this. I know how good it feels to be able so do it, so I appreciate it very much.

My second tasty thought is about how much I appreciate home base. Work, family activities, volunteering, and all of the things I/we do for fun take me out of the house most days and many nights each week. At the office I am out more than in, travelling to meetings, events and programs. On Tuesday I made breakfast for the kids, walked the dog, tidied a bit, then went to work and stayed at my office all day. I got tons of work done, and I was there when my clients and contacts phoned or emailed (no tag-playing) and I got to talk with my co-workers in a relaxed and friendly way. It felt great. At closing time I drove to karate, picked up my son, talked with the karate teacher then came home and helped fix supper then I stayed home. We were all together for supper, then sometimes spread around the house, sometimes occupying the same space. Everyone was home. It was nice. There was no sense of urgency, minimal decision-making required. We were home. My base is one of the tastiest things in my life. I love to do things but more than anything I love to be home.

Which makes me think of an extra tasty morsel: that look in my son Alex's eyes when I pick him up somewhere and he sees me. It's like he's seeing me for the first time. There's a ker-thump of joy that I feel when I see that look, and the feeling that he feels the same way.

My final tasty is my reflection on Monday night's poetry slam. It was a smorgasbord of tasty. I was nervous about hosting. I've done it before in a small restaurant in my own neighbourhood, but never at the Vancouver Poetry Slam. It was such a good night...11 great poets in the competition and 2 more at the open mic, all women and a superb feature poet, Melissa Noelle Green from Seattle. There was a richness in the range of voices and experiences, the topics and styles that was so tasty. The judges were strong and consistent and quick and the audience was hungry for poetry and happy with what was offered. I felt like I did a good job, and the show was successful. I especially savour the help of my friends at the slam and the Sista'hood festival, who made sure I felt supported and appreciated, and who keep these good events going. Being welcomed to participate and help is a treat beyond compare.

So that's 4 tasty things I guess. And it was easy.

Thanks, Lazy Daisy, for the inspiration.

question: what's tasty for you today?

mompoet - hmmmm honey nut cheerios?

2 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

Ahh...great job, tasty morsels indeed!

Carol said...

Yep, sounds deliciously tasty.