Thursday, July 28, 2005

paint chips

Son and I washed and prepped his bedroom walls today. We're in the midst of patching, and should start painting tomorrow morning. I picked up the paint this afternoon. Going to the paint store is funny. I like to watch what colours people choose and try to imagine the room they will be living in with that colour. There was a fairly stressed-out young couple desperately trying to match a creamy beige that they last had mixed in 2000. Not being appreciative of beige I thought it was funny - who cares? Beige is beige! But if it's your beige in your beige room, then it is important. I bet they have a white couch and a brown dog. Then there was this older guy who was painting the wood trim on his old trailer forest green. He had the paint stir stick from the last time he painted it, but not the old can of paint for the code, and he wanted just the same colour. They have a scanner at the paint store that can duplicate colours. It turned out to be a near-perfect match. Then there was the sweet looking lady who had 6 gallons, one each of a sherbert pastel - pink, green, yellow, purple, blue and a pale grey. I wonder if she's decorating an ice cream store, or maybe painting a mural with happy elephants? For our son, I got tinted primer (I do love primer!) and deep blue for the walls. Andy convinced me that the ceiling still looks great from the last time we did it so we'll just leave it. As I was leaving I caught the beige couple looking askance at my 2 gallons of midnight blue. I smiled at them and thought, "come over to the dark side!" Paint is just paint. It's the easiest and cheapest way to make a dramatic change in your living environment, like dying your hair or buying a new sweater can make a change to your personal appearance. I like it!

question: What do you think the pastel 6 pack is all about?

mompoet - not beige!

No comments: