Tuesday, July 12, 2005

not jazzed yet

Usually by this time in July I am climbing the walls, all anxious about holiday preparation - both the packing and also work preparations. Instead, I am calm and steady. I'll get done what I get done and the rest will be okay.

I'm not sure what's making a difference this year. Maybe it's just delayed panic, and I'll find it lurking around the corner Tuesday at 10:42am or in the middle of the night Wednesday. But I don't think so. All I can conclude is that my grip is slipping sufficiently that I can't remember things long enough to worry about them, or I'm suddenly and inexplicably wise and centred. Huh!

The budget is chunking along at work. I'm finding time to finish off the parts that I can get done before I go, and I've defined what I'll need to hand back to my boss before I leave. I still have to find someone to open camp on the Monday of the second week, but that's minor. The new leaders are working together really well. New head leader is wonderful. They will be fine without me for a couple of weeks, and I've scheduled small registration loads for them while I'm away, and one week girls-only which is always really nice, considering our average camper is an 8 year old boy whose mom REALLY wants him out of the house. Speaking of houses, our house is in pretty good shape for the house-sitter so hopefully no scrubbing blitz on Thursday night before we leave. On Sunday we opened up the tent trailer and I searched the shed and basement and located the essential items that weren't already inside the trailer (stove, sleeping bags, collapsible chairs, barbeque etc) and put them there. I have to make a bunch of salads and bake some cookies and pack my clothes. The kids pack for themselves. Andy just got the car checked over for the trip up, and he's buying marshmallows and propane and stuff that we'll need. Other than that, we're good. We can go on holiday.

Today I will deliver on my promise to my dad for a father's day gift of time. We're going to walk around Burnaby Lake and eat sushi for lunch at Piper Spit. That is if we don't get eaten. I spent a couple of hours at the lake yesterday visiting my camp. The mosquitos are working all day long in this cool, damp weather. I have about 100 bites on my legs. This is not an exaggeration. They seem to think that bug spray is salad dressing. It's okay. If you don't scratch the bites they disappear pretty fast. I'll wear long pants today. The worst is when you get a mosquito bite on your finger. It's really irritating. I guess one on your eyelid is even worse, but that doesn't usually happen unless you sleep with a mosquito in your tent.

question: ever tried to sleep with a mosquito whining in your ear?

mompoet - nutritious

No comments: