Monday, July 04, 2005

bathtubs are happy places

When I got home tonight at 9:30 after much too much work, I heard my new neighbour Chris and his 2 year old through their bathroom window. Tristan was squealing and giggling, and I couldn't hear what Chris was saying but it sounded very exciting and pretty much like they were both having the time of the lives. I thought about how I used to put our kids and whatever friends they had over into the bath at about any time of day or evening when I wanted them to cool off, cheer up, kill time, have fun, play and coincidentally get clean. I remember how the owliest "I missed my nap" kid would turn into a sweet (and sweet-smelling) lamb just by spending 15-20 minutes soaking and splashing. I also remember how I used to fake losing my balance and fall into the tub with my clothes on, just to make them laugh. Mommy in her jeans and sweater inside the tub with you is pretty funny to a 2 year old. They won't let me do that anymore.

I just stood outside for a couple of minutes and enjoyed the music. I don't miss having a two year old. I do miss bathing one from time to time. I also miss falling in.

question: anyone got a two year old I can borrow?

mompoet - accelerated beyond belief

No comments: