Monday, August 27, 2007

a virtual book launch

My favourite novelist of all time, Gail Anderson-Dargatz is joining with her friend Mary Novik to launch their new novels. It's Saturday morning at 9am. Here's the link if you'd like to join the launch.

I have now read A Recipe for Bees at least 3 times. I laughed out loud in a crowd and cried on the bus while Reading A Rhinestone Button. The Cure for Death by Lightning kept me up all night. I love the novels of Gail Anderson-Dargatz because she gets inside of characters so very well, then transforms your view of the character through the unfolding of the story. When I read her work I meet people who behave in seemingly inexplicable (and in some cases inexcusable) ways. Without directly explaining, the story tells what's going on for those people, and how they got to the actions/reactions in a way that made sense to them. How they got there and where they go is authentic and compelling. Who they are is just awesomely wonderful.

Every first day of school I take the kids to the book store after school. Each gets a book of his and her choice. I know what I will choose for myself this year.

question: why do you like to read what you like to read?

mompoet - it's the people, and their stories, but more so who they are

No comments: