Saturday, August 25, 2007

blueberries

Today was the day. I got up early and drove out to Port Coquitlam to the U-pick. I spend 4 peaceful and productive hours, wet-kneed and soothed by birdsong, picking dusty blue gems. I got 32 pounds, a few of which have already been dispatched to neighbours' homes (how can you not share such bounty?). We'll gorge on berries for a couple of days, and the rest will go into the freezer.

I feel lucky that I made it this year. Every time I had a morning open for picking, it was a "ripening day" and the U-pick was closed. Today, rain threatened but has held off. It was lovely and cool between the rows, with no bright sky to squint into, so perfect picking conditions I think.

The frozen berries will show up throughout the winter in muffins, smoothies and tossed into apple crisps for a splash of colour and flavour. I read in the business section of the paper that this year has not been a good one for blueberry farmers, due to the cool, damp weather. I also read that blueberry farming is a growing industry in British Columbia, because the berries are in high demand for their yumminess and health benefits. I hope we'll always have a place to pick them just a few minutes from home.

question: what is your favourite kind of berry?

mompoet - laughing because "yumminess" spell-checks to "gumminess." some days, spellcheck is my favourite comedian

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey mp...
I have a wonderful new blueberry recipe that I made a little while ago. It's very yummy and healthy. I will email it to you if you like although you may have seen it in the Canadian Living magazine.
lvg

mompoet said...

LVG, I have that recipe. In fact we used it to consume the last of last year's frozen blueberries. Thanks for reminding me about it. I can't wait to find out what it tastes like with fresh berries. Canadian Living Magazine is wonderful.
mp