Thursday, October 20, 2005

My own Napoleon Dynamite Moment

One of my favourite things in the movie Napoleon Dynamite is how Napoleon leaves the room. He does this super-rapid tilt/lurch/bolt move that is so good I want to learn how to do it myself, but I'd probably break something. Anyway, I saw it in real life the other day.

Tuesday lunchtime, my son takes the bus from home to a sushi place near my office. I meet him at the restaurant, and treat him to all-you-can-eat sushi. The bus comes by every 30 minutes. After about 26 minutes of non-stop eating and talking about the various types of test-buses in use right now, he asks me about the time until the next bus. "Relax," I say, "you have another half hour - unless you want to go right now." So he stuffs a piece of BC roll in his mouth, drops his chopsticks and says, "Thanks for lunch. I feel full. I'm going to go now." Then he does the Napoleon move and runs out the door of the restaurant. I'm just smiling to myself when the restaurant door bangs open a moment later. He's standing beside the table looking at me. "Hug!" he says. So I hug him. "BYE!" tilt/lurch/bolt. Everyone in the place is grinning by now. The bus goes by about 40 seconds later and he's gone. My Napoleon.

question: with whom do you identify in that movie?

mompoet - sticking around to see the white stallion

No comments: