Tuesday, June 26, 2007

White Stripes played at Creekside Youth Centre Sunday Afternoon



My friend Bob phoned me at my office today. "Look at your emai!" he said. I looked. There were photos he took at a secret, teeny tiny White Stripes concert that happened Sunday afternoon. Bob manages the Creekside Youth Centre in Burnaby. On Friday he got a call. A band manager was looking for a place for his band to play a small show for youth before an evening performance. Bob said sure, who's the band? He couldn't quite believe the answer, but the manager showed up Saturday to check out the venue (a portable building set up at one end of an elementary school parking lot). He told Bob he could invite about 25 kids. Bob said that was a hard thing to do. At 2pm Sunday, there they all were, waiting. Bob still couldn't believe it would really happen.

"Then the van pulled up in the parking lot," he said, and when they took out Meg's drum kit I knew it was real." Did I mention Bob is a huge fan? Moments later Meg and Jack jumped out of another van, ran into the centre and did a show there for Bob and the kids. Later that night they performed at the Shadbolt Centre outdoor festival space in Burnaby. But they really opened their North American tour at Creekside.

I got goosebumps just thinking about it. I think this is some kind of delicious wonderful.

question: can you think of anything quite as nice?

mompoet - I didn't even have to be there to feel giddy about this

1 comment:

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I have added this to my you tube favorite list. :)