Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Whether Report

I walk the dog every morning, sometime between 6 and 7:30. This morning it was 7. The ground is still wet with heavy dew, but there's frost on the rooftops for the first time since last winter. Car windows aren't yet frozen, but that'll come soon I'm sure.

Checklist:

Hiking boots GOOD
Sweaters LOTS - THANKS TO MOTHER-IN-LAW WHO BUYS AND SHRINKS
Winter Coat YUP
Gloves and hat GLOVES FINE - STILL LOOKING FOR A HAT THAT FITS
Snow Tires GOTTA DO THAT!!!
Car Scraper YUP
Work at Home Box START TODAY

Living on a hillside and valuing life and limb over compliance with arbitrary schedules, I pack work home in a box on winter evenings so if it snows overnight, I can work from home the next morning. Transit's good where I live, but most meetings get cancelled on snowy days, and with email and voicemail it's possible to function by remote control for a day or two when necessary.

I know it probably won't snow in earnest until January, but there's always that first sloshy few centimetres sometime before the end of November. And that's the day that everyone goes nuts and slides off the road and predicts doom and gloom. I like to stay home that day and avoid joining the hysteria.

Question: what would it be like if I lived in Ontario?

mompoet: west coast wussing

No comments: