Sunday, February 20, 2005

The $3,000 Bed

Friday night I stayed over at the Bayshore Hotel for a BCTF Conference called "Not for Sale," about commercialization and privatization of public education. (whew....that's enough ations for a bad slam poem)

More about the conference later, now I'll just mention the bed. It was very pretty and cushy and clean and it had 5 pillows. When I got up in the morning I noticed the brochure about the bed. On the surface, it advertised all of the components available for sale. If you fell in love with the bed overnight, you could buy one for your home. Some savings available if you buy the entire package: mattress, box spring, pillows, duvet and linens for just $3,000 plus tax and shipping.

ahem

I was relieved to see that the room bill was only $168 for two of us, but still..... (local Teachers' Association paid our way) I concluded that the bed brochure was really to justify the price of the room and to make me really appreciate that I had experienced uncommon luxury. Or at least luxury beyond the reach of a commoner like me.

I spent about 5 1/2 hours in the $3,000 bed. I wonder if it was worth it. That was $545/hour. Geezz. They didn't even put a mint on the pillow. By the way, there was bottled water available in the room for $4.95 plus tax. But don't get me started.

I slept better at home Saturday night on a 15 year old mattress with bargain store sheets and pillows I inherited from my Grandma.


Question: Could thread count be indirectly proportional to social consciousness?

mompoet - rested, hydrated and well-tended for only pennies a day

No comments: