Thursday, January 24, 2008

overwhelmed (temporarily)

I have been at my new job for 2 weeks. I am sure that I like it, but I have so much to learn that I feel like I cam carrying around a fishnet full of everything I don't know about what it is I am supposed to be doing. My boss and co-workers and the person whose job I took over are all super nice and helpful. The clients are lovely. I have not received this many client hugs since I was operating a family daycare. I know I am fully able and generously supported and trusted. I will soon be able to come into work without thinking, "YIKES! What do I not know today?" But for now I am overwhelmed.

I guess, after 10 years of working at the same job, a new job can take you to a completely different place. That's what I wanted, and it's good but WOOOOOOH!

In the meantime, here are a few wonderful things about my new job:

-hugs (I know I already mentioned it, but it's really remarkable and lovely)
-a five-sided office (again). How could I land two of those in a row? and five is my favourite number.
-a staff locker in the change room - now I won't have to tote my clunky shampoo bottles to work and back every day
-my co-workers and boss - wonderful
-a staffroom with a comfy couch so when I'm not exercising on a break, I can read
-a library 5 paces from my office, in the same building
-a red telephone
-seniors having fun and being active - I have lots and lots of new friends and heroes
-walking distance from home
-my old job still belongs to me

So here I am, overwhelmed but sitting pretty, stretching my brain and meeting new friends.

question: are you overwhelmed?

mompoet - temporarily so

1 comment:

Pearl said...

if you have to go up a sharp learning curve somewhere that sounds like a fabulous environment to do it in!