Friday, August 05, 2005

Playland Survival Tips

I booked off work today and took the penta-gaggle to Playland. We planned to take transit, but it's a 3-zone fare on a weekday, so would have cost us $19.50 each way (gadzooks). My dad kindly shuttled some of the kids in his car and I drove too. So much for sustainable transportation alternatives. I know if we were regular transit users we'd have passes or faresavers and it would have been cheaper, but I can't think it would have been that much cheaper. When we were finished, two of the boys bused home and got back before we did, so Translink did make its contribution to our day.

The kids had a blast of course. They're old enough to take off and keep an eye on their watches. As long as they show up for our pre-agreed rendezvous and accept the food/water/sunscreen/check-in upon which I insist, they are free to explore and have fun and I stay out of their way. I brought a book in case they wanted to stay longer than I did, but I ended up riding the Coaster the whole time. I know I am verging on obsession with this ride, but it's harmless. They shut the ride down for 30 minutes mid-morning and I stuck around and watched them climb up to the middle of the second hill and fix something on the track. I got two front seat solo rides, which I love, and 6 rides in all, bringing me to 37 this season. I'm resigned to not making my target of 100, but 50 is definitely reachable. Every time I ride it I notice something that I have not noticed before, and every ride is different, with burps and bumps in different spots every time around. It's almost like it's alive. Good people-watching in the line-up too.

So here are my survival tips for Playland, in case you haven't taken your kids yet this summer:

1) Get a locker. It's $5 for the day with unlimited access. You rent a key at guest services and you can leave jackets, sunscreen, food, water, sleeping babies (well, maybe not). Ask for a big one if you need it. It will save you a ton of money on food and beverages and you won't have to haul your stuff around.

2) Bring lunch and water. There's nothing to eat at Playland unless you you like over-priced burgers and fries and pop or expensive bottled water. You can fit a couple of small cooler bags into the big locker. Take sandwiches and fruit in one, water bottles and/or juice in another. Bring some chips and pretzels and some cookies in a backpack and you might even get away without buying cotton candy and candy apples. The price of food can more than double your expenses if you buy on site. Bring real food and focus on the fun.

3) If you're planning to ride the Coaster, go to it first while the lineups are short and ride on the front car whenever the lineup for that seat is fewer than 5 rides. It's less than 2 minutes for a complete circuit, so you'll be on in just 10 minutes once you get into the "shed." Same for the back car.

4) If you don't care which car you're in on the Coaster, you can get on faster by grabbing the extra seat. There are 8 seats in every train, but only 7 slots for loading. Somewhere in the middle of the train there will be an extra seat "between slots." Most times nobody gets in because they have been queueing and are pretty much robot-brains. Everyone stands and stares at the empty seat. Be ready and take the extra seat, you can ride twice as much if you do this.

5) Get free ice-water. There's a big spout-jug of it by the rear door of the White Spot concession near the entrance to the park. If you're on the run, they have paper cups. If you have a water bottle, fill it up. The water is cold and lovely and free, and it will keep your kids from fainting and getting heat stroke and you from getting a headache and hating everything. Did I mention it's free?

6) Talk to people. I have good conversations in the lineup. People are there to have fun and they like to compare kid stories or ride stories. If they look like they don't want to talk, eavesdrop. It's great entertainment while you wait.

7) Find shade. There are trees and grass in the Southeast corner of the park, between the Coaster and the mini-golf. You can sit on the ground or at a picnic table to rest, re-hydrate, eat lunch. This is also a good rendezvous point.

8) Leave when you have had enough. Whether you have a day pass or a season's pass, the worst half hour is the last if you should have left already. The best is when you leave laughing and talking about the fun you had.

I had a great time. The kids were all ready to leave at the same time. Dad treated us all to Szechuan supper, so we are now full and tired and happy. Good day.

question: do you know any Playland secrets?

mompoet - still afraid of the haunted house ( and I don't like the Wild Mouse either)

No comments: