Friday, April 11, 2008

good for you (somewhat)

I heard on the radio today that Girl Guide Cookies are being criticized for their trans-fat content. A representative of Guides Canada said essentially that cookies are treats, and we all eat things that are bad for us, and that we should do it in moderation or we'll never have any fun. The story also quoted the argument that changing the recipe would change the taste. Well, the cookies have been re-reciped twice in the last 10 years after Dare took over making them from Christie, so changing them again wouldn't be breaking with a long tradition of tastiness.

I'm inclined to say that a little of a bad thing is okay, especially for a good cause, but it's also possible to make this bad thing better, so I think they should.

question: do you eat girl guide cookies? and if so, which do you prefer - choco-mint or vanilla and chocolate sandwiches? and what about this trans-fat thing?

mompoet - former brownie and guide and current cookie-eater (in moderation) and able to have plenty o' fun with our without the cookies

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The cookies have never been the same with the Dare cookie company. I preferred Mr. Christie.
My rule of eating the cookies, take one of each...you eat a vanilla and a chocolate...yummy! I buy them every year to support the wonderful work the Girl Guides do. Treats in moderation are fine. There are far worse subjects to criticize. Let us enjoy our Girl Guide cookies and support a good cause at the same time!
(submitted by a former Brownie leader and Girl Guide leader)

Muhd Imran said...

Choco-mint is my favourite, then again any cookie with chocolate on it. My niece is a Girl Guide and has been selling it for years.

Sinful as it may, in moderation is always the best way with anything we do, so it's good advice.

Lazy Daisy said...

Love chocolate mint anythings...we have way too many flavors in the States. (I've never met a cookie I didn't like and I have the figure to prove it!)