Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Corporate Gifts for Unhealthy Living

Today at work we had a wrap-up celebration for our annual "Active Living Challenge." It's a 6 week-long event put on by our Wellness Committee to encourage healthy daily habits among city employees. Every day I tallied up points for exercise, healthy eating, adequate sleep (not always) and a range of more esoteric options. You get a point for "attending a spiritual or cultural event," and also for performing a random act of kindness. I like this broad concept of wellness. So you don't get aerobic everyday and maybe once in a while you eat KFC washed down with rum and coke for supper (not really, but just for example). You can still get points for watching less than one hour of TV or having a smoke detector in your house.

Anyway, I always get top points in this challenge, and so qualify for all of the gifts that they hand out at the end. This year I got a steel thermos, a compact tool kit, a portable battery-operated fan and a City of Burnaby T-shirt. Last year I got a collapsible chair, a beach mat, a first aid kit and a sun umbrella that hooks onto the collapsible chair. I was thinking about all of these prizes, and wondering if they will ever have to give out the same prize as last year, and also wondering whose interesting job it is to keep inventing gifts for wellness committees to give out to employees.

Next year I think they should dump the Active Living Challenge and have a Slack-tive Living Challenge. You could get rewards for doing crossword puzzles, shopping, surfing the net, driving to work, taking the elevator and eating drive-through meals in front of the tv. I like this idea because it opens up a whole new realm of prize possibilities: Level one would be a package of cigarette rolling papers emblazoned with the City logo. Level two, a martini shaker. Level 3 a remote control that can be programmed for your tv, stereo and dvd player. I was stuck for level 4 until I ran the idea past my friend Brian. He had just the thing:

THIS IS IT!

Okay, guess I better go practise up. I think if I log off quick I can catch the second half of Jeopardy. No wait, that show actually requires me to think. Better go find a re-run of friends. I want the bacon alarm clock.

question: should I get a prize for taking good care of myself?

mompoet - marvelling at corporate culture

No comments: