Tuesday, June 14, 2005

avoiding the water

Daughter's middle school music concert was tonight. I am awful about these things. I just cry too easily. Even when it's someone else's kids. I get all proud and tender and boom! I thought we were safe, buried in the middle of the crowd where I could look at shoes and exit signs and stuff if I started to feel gushy, but when I went to gab with some neighbours my husband switched us to the front row, bang in front of the choir within spitting distance of our daughter who has already told me not to laugh or cry so that anyone notices because IT'S TOOOO EMBARRRASSING!

So they sang 7 songs in all, in between crashing and booming by the band (which never makes me cry - even when our son played in it). Four were snap-poppy toe-tappy things so I was okay, but the other three, oh my... So here are things that moms do not to cry when their daughters are looking at them and telepathing "Do not make me embarrassed."

1. Bit your lip really hard.
2. Watch one singer and listen to hear just her voice, separate from the others (hint: don't pick your own kid).
3. Look at shoes and exit signs.
4. Count to ten silently in all of the languages you can think of.

Phew! I made it! They did sing very beautifully enough to skewer my heart, but my eyes stayed dry and my face bright but not too exuberantly happy, because that's embarrassing too.

Driving home our daughter said, "You know when we sang Hero? Ms. Kitzinger (the vice principal) was crying." But that's okay, as long as it's not your mom.

question: right?

mompoet - stoic on the outside, blubber-facey on the inside and also very proud

No comments: