Saturday, June 11, 2005

berries, yurts and other stuff

Storytime went just fine. Marya is a remarkable storyteller, and the people at Lougheed Town Centre are spectacular. I hate the mall, can't stand shopping, detest the idea of commerce as entertainment but the mall admin people at Lougheed are good stuff. Sure all of the malls are doing community things to pull in customers and polish their images as good corporate citizens, but the ladies who run this mall admin office keep inventing new things to do and new ways to get involved in the neighbourhood. Still, I am staying out of WalMart for good. Nobody can clean the hands of that monster.

Anyway, the kids had a great time and the moms got to relax. A dozen daycamp leaders came over from the community school to warm up the audience with storybooks and to promote their camp registration which starts next week. It was fun meeting them. They're all university students, employed on an HRDC grant. I'll see them again because they'll come to our staff training later this month. We do a lot of stuff in cooperation with the community schools. It's also fun because I worked on that grant project in 1984, as the project manager. I met my best friend Robin that summer. She was the preschool teacher. I also graduated from SFU and got married that summer (cooked Saturday, married Sunday, took Monday off for a honeymoon - WOO-HOO!) then back to work at the community school daycamp. Seeing the leaders so bright and talented and having fun working together and getting to know each other made me feel very happy.

After work (I love that kind of work) I did some necessary but fast shopping then drove our daughter to tap dance lessons and took our son to the bank. He is determined to be a millionaire. Despite having a debit card for 3 years he still deposits more than he spends or withdraws. In fact I don't think I've ever seen him withdraw anything. Anyway, today he surpassed 1 kilobuck in his savings account. He is very proud and happy. I talked to him about volunteering this summer and he agreed to go to the Volunteer Centre next week to find a job. That way he'll get some experience so maybe someone will pay him to work next summer. Then he'll really be a millionaire.

Picked daughter up from dance and took her to a friend's house for a sleepover birthday party. She was out last night too, but we allowed only a late-over. That's a neighbourhood invention to save sanity and ensure our kids get some sleep. At a late-over you act like it's a sleepover - pjs, chips, music, movies, whatever...but you come home to your own bed at 10pm. All the fun and none of the staying up all night and being a junior grizzly bear the next day. Anyway, last night's lateover was in a yurt. Daughter took the cardboard from the IKEA bed boxes and built a box fort in the neighbour's carport. I'm tickled that the girls are almost 12 and they still think this is cool. They spent all afternoon after school building it, then late-overed in it from 8-10:30. They had flashlights, an MP3 player and home-made ice cream cookie sandwiches. They snuggled up in their duvets and watched out the window of their fort and yelled "DUDE" when someone walked down the road. I called their fort a yurt because that's what it looked like. A roofless yurt, actually.

While the girls were building the yurt I made labels on the computer and labelled and put away about 40 bottles of wine that I bottled last weekend. Now I'm stocked up again with red, but I need to make some white. And some more red for when this stuff is all consumed. It's hard to keep up, what with parties and suppers and giving it away all the time, which I like to do.

So this afternoon after the sleepover drop-off and big bank deposit I picked up 32 pounds of strawberries and brought them home. We have eaten a couple of pounds or maybe more. The local berries are like nothing else - sweet and flavourful, red to the centre and so juicy. They last for a heartbeat and must be enjoyed as soon as they are picked. So I have about 20 jars of jam now ready to go in the freezer, and a bundt cake ready to cut and serve with piles of berries. Then Andy and I will go to the movie. I hope I can keep my eyes open. This has been a busy weekend so far.

Tomorrow two of the kids from my Sunday school class are serving communion, and all of the other Sunday School teachers except my partner Greg have taken off for the weekend. Luckily they took their kids with them, so Greg and I will have probably about 12 maximum to do something with, but they will range from 2 years to 16 years, which will be fun. What's the common denominator I wonder? We'll work something out.

Some weekends have one big highlight or accomplishment. This is more of a laundry list weekend, but lots of good laundry. I hope I'll find myself on Monday morning encouraged by all that got done and happy to have had some fun with Andy and the kids too.

question: is a yurt a yurt without a roof?

mompoet - jam dandy

No comments: