Friday, August 15, 2008

With work like this, who needs a vacation anyway?

This is a photo of me at work the other day. Our summer kids camp was visited by the reptile refuge people. They brought some awesome lizards and lots of snakes. I have never held a snake before, so I was thrilled to have a cuddle with "Oreo" the California King Snake. He felt warmer and softer and somehow more alive than I had imagined. Every part of him was moving all of the time. He seemed to want the warmest, darkest corner at first, then he tried to get down to the floor. I just kept re-directing him to stay in my arms so he slid and curled and hung out with me for a few minutes. It was a very cool experience.

Today is my last day at work until after Labour Day. We have 2 weeks of at-home vacation now. It will be good to relax with the kids before school/college begin, and work shifts from snakes and barbeques to full-on programs and events.

question: do you like reptiles?

mompoet - now I know that I do!

2 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, what a cute picture of you. Who knew that snakes make a person look better? I'm not a big snake or lizard person....I would even have a hard time with Nelson. Enjoy your time with your kids....it goes much too quickly!

Muhd Imran said...

Wow! Brave Lady.

I have never held a snake before and not about to for a while. Strange for someone who loves the outdoors.

The fear instilled in us while growing-up and those on TV make this creature really misunderstood... but I'd rather leave them alone if I see one in the wild.

I am not fond of snakes, but I will hold on to one if a reptile expert hands me one. To be sure I don't freak out for life if it turns on me.

I know I will never hold a spider in my palm for whatever money in the world. I need to see a psychologist first, get cured and then hold one.