Saturday, August 16, 2008

elusive blue


My favourite, favourite, favourite summer fruit is the blueberry. It comes at the end of the summer, but not so late that summer's all the way over. There are still good watermelons available for a lovely watermelon and blueberry bowl at breakfast time (or anytime really).

Now that I'm on vacation, I want to go pick blueberries. Our favourite u-pick usually is open a couple of days each week, as the berries ripen. I phoned today, and found out that Thursday is the next day for picking. I'll plan to be there at 8:30 when they open.

I usually pick about 40 pounds of berries. We eat berries for a couple of days until we begin to turn blue, then I freeze a lot. Through the winter they are delicious in muffins, pies and pancakes. I also like to add them to apple crip.

In the meantime, I could not wait, so I bought a basket of blue at the produce store. We had berries at breakfast. No watermelon today, so I ate mine with cut up nectarine and prune plum (also in season) and peach yogurt with toasted almonds. A big bowl of yum.

question: what fruit do you seek in summer?

mompoet - collecting buckets for picking

2 comments:

Muhd Imran said...

It is always summer here in equatorial Singapore, so pretty much all sorts fruits are always available.

Some fruits were seasonal, like the infamous Durians, until they mutate them genetically to become available throughout the year.

But nothing beats the self-picked fruits from a farm. It is a treat in itself before actually eating it.

Have a great summer vacation treat!

Lazy Daisy said...

I have a great desire for watermelon. I cut it up into bite sized chunks and have it in the refrigerator. So far I've gone through one a week. Sure am going to miss watermelon season.