Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Wart Chronicles - Final Chapter (I hope!)

The last time I checked in about my plantar warts, I was trying duct tape and also going for freezing with liquid nitrogen at the doctor's office (weekly). While I did not notice any change in the size or appearance of the warts, they started to bother me less. Then life got busy, and I got distracted by other pressing concerns, so I stopped making freezing appointments, and just let the feet be. Over the past few weeks, the pain has crept back to the point that walking is distinctly uncomfortable.

I had not been to the podiatrist in probably 10 years, so I looked up Dr. Brooks' number and called, and got an appointment for the very next day. Dr. Brooks worked magic with his little blade, shaving away seemingly microscopic layers of skin. It didn't hurt (much) and I knew I'd feel much better when he was finished.

After about 10 minutes, the doctor was finished. He told me he thought he'd got rid of most of the warts. To be sure, he put on some medicine and covered each spot with a tough bandaid. I asked him if I'd need to go back to my regular doctor for any more freezing. He said no, because the warts are gone.

I walked out of the office feeling like I was stepping on clouds. No pain, except for a few phantom jabs that kept me awake for a few minutes the first night. Probably my feet were remembering what I'd been putting up with for far too long. And now I walk without limitation or ibuprofen as a crutch. I should have done this weeks ago.

question: do you ever postpone the obvious then wonder why?

mompoet - happy feet

No comments: