Wednesday, June 25, 2008

my new un-favourite word

It's warm outside, finally, and the weather reporters are now obsessed with just how warm it will be each day. So it's back:

tempeture

As in "Tempetures today will go as high as 22 degrees inland, then cool to about 15 overnight."

Temperature has 4 syllables. I guess they are cutting back (rrrrrrr). This annoying word trend is evident on most local TV news shows, but not currently on CBC radio. I have not listened to the other radio stations to check. This is annoying enough already.

I know that you probably don't notice it, and even if you do, it probably does not bother you, but it bothers me.

question: does it bother you?

mompoet - it's it's driving me insane

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I sooooo agree with you MP!! I have noticed that as well. The other bad habit that is being used on the news incorrrectly is the word "at". Such as, "Do you know where he is at?" rather than, "Do you know where he is?"
Misuse of words bother me too! That's so funny!

Anonymous said...

OK, the one that burns my toast is "familiar". How many times have I heard this: "I'm really not fermiliar with it."

ARGH!!!!