Sunday, November 11, 2007

movie

Andy and I saw Into the Wild tonight. I thought it was pretty good, although I think it tried a bit too hard to answer the questions that everyone must ask about a story like this. I would have been comfortable with the movie just telling it and letting us do a little more of the figuring. But that's Hollywood.

I read the book by Jon Krakauer when it first came out. I have only a partial recollection of it, but I remember that there were gaps in the story, and that the book left a lot of questions unanswered. At the time, I found that frustrating, but in retrospect, it's more honest than making it up to give the movie a more satisfying story arc. Then again, maybe Sean Penn (who wrote the screenplay and directed the movie) did some additional research. The credits included thanks to Krakauer and to the family of Christopher McCandless, the young man whose story is told in the movie.

Still in all, it's an engrossing tale of a very strong individual on a quest for meaning. It's visually stunning, with a good sense of humour and tender characterization. The sound track is very nice too. It is a bit too long (about 2 and a quarter hours I think). I recommend it. I don't know if the critics do. I'm not allowed to read reviews at the moment. Whether or not you've read the book, it's a good movie to see.

question: did you ever go on a quest for meaning?

mompoet - loving the movies

2 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

been thinking about you and your non-reading week. Any great brain waves come crashing through that has led to a rebirth of creativity?

As for me...I'm on my way to clean out my closet as well as my thought closet. Just wanted you were thought about today and prayed for too.

mompoet said...

Thanks Daisy, for your thoughts and prayers. I am learning that even though I am a very busy and involved and social person, I'm at a loss for what to do with downtime without reading. I'm learning that it's okay to be still and think my own thoughts. I guess I'm getting to know myself better.
mp