Wednesday, January 08, 2014

two part supper OR when you have lemons in the fridge...

I had a busy day Tuesday, but I wanted to make a nice supper for my family. I knew that I would be home for a short time between work and choir practice, so I prepped up a meal early in the day, then finished it up, with a little help from my family.

Lemons were on sale five for $2 at the produce store on the weekend, so I have lots of lemons in my fridge. I used a couple of them to make a Greek-style marinade for some chicken breasts:

I used lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, garlic and pepper. I would have like to have added paprika, but I have only smoked paprika, and that was not what I was going for. By the way, do you like my new grater? I got that at Home Hardware. The grating teeth on it are suspiciously similar to the ones on my pedi-egg, but this one is meant for fruits and vegetables, not for feet. I put the chicken in the fridge for the day to soak in the marinade.

Then I prepped some potatoes and some yams, because some of us like potatoes, and some like yams, and some like both, so everyone would be happy.

I simply washed, sliced/chopped and treated them with olive oil and Montreal Chicken Spice, which is meant for chicken, but also good for potatoes or yams, as it turns out.

 


I covered them tightly with cling wrap so they wouldn't get all brown and yukky. I think the olive oil protected them too.

I finished up with my afternoon meeting at 4, at which time I phoned home and asked my loved ones to heat up the oven and put in the potatoes. When I got home at 5, I quickly prepped the veggies, and added them to the hot oven, along with the yams (which cook up more quickly than potatoes). Then, while those things baked, I grilled the chicken on the George Foreman (which is a kitchen appliance, not a person). Very shortly I had supper ready.

It was so good, I almost forgot to photograph it. In fact, this plateful has already been tasted.
Everyone loved it, and had time left over to relax with the family before I left for choir practice.

question: what do you like to cook when you don't have much time, but still want something yummy?

mompoet - home cooking R us


1 comment:

Mac Logan shares said...

Looks tasty to me. I'm going to try it. Now where's my paprika …