Wednesday, January 01, 2014

dipping my toe into the water

I used to swim several times a week. Swimming is not easy. You have to change into a tight, skimpy, chilly outfit, walk (nearsighted in my case) across a noisy, grippy-slippy floor, then plunge into the water and get moving. The worst part about swimming for me was actually showing up. I could tell myself stories every time about why I should not go swimming: I was too busy, I had a cold, my toe hurt. So, I developed a technique to psych myself into swimming: I told myself to just drive to the pool and park the car. Once I had arrived, if I did not feel like swimming, I could start the car and drive home. Of course, once I had arrived at the pool I thought that I might as well swim, and I did, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be, and I still had time for all of the other things I needed to do. And I felt good for most of the swim, and great afterwards.

I think it's the same about blogging. I have fallen out of the rhythm of posting my blog. Most days I think I will go and do it, then I tell myself a story about why I can't post my blog: I am too busy. There are other things I need to do. My toe hurts.

So I am going to try the same technique that I used to get myself to swim. I will drive my car to the computer. Well, actually, I will sit down at the computer. If I still don't feel like posting a blog I will get up and do something else. The best part is that I do not have to change into a tight, skimpy, chilly outfit. I can keep my glasses on, and I will usually be wearing nice warm cozy slippers for the walk over to the computer. The plunge, in this case, will be opening my heart and mind and sharing my thoughts and experiences once again. I have a feeling it won't be nearly as bad as I think it might be. I will still have time for all of the other things I need to do. I will feel good when I blog, and great afterwards.

And, if I don't feel like blogging, I will leave a very short post. Just so you know I did show up. See the sample short posts that I will leave above this one. They are just for practice and fun. I'm pretty sure that I won't have to turn around and walk away from the computer very often. After all, once I got to that swimming pool, I took the plunge every time, and was glad for it.

Thank you for checking my blog after all of these months. Come back soon. The water is fine.

question: Have you ever talked yourself out of something, then talked yourself back into doing it?

mompoet - dipping my toe

1 comment:

Mompoet's dad said...

"question: Have you ever talked yourself out of something, then talked yourself back into doing it?"

Yes, and I've also talked myself into something, and then talked myself back out of it... ;-) .