Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A good day

I have to work Saturday at the Finale of Saturday Storytime at the Mall (it's a literacy project where we bring a storyteller in to the mall once a month, with a tie-in to a visit to the library afterwards - they love it!). That gave me Monday off work. I love a day when everyone else is doing their usual routines and I get to freestyle during that time period. No special treats or pampering, but several very nice things emerged to make a very satisfying day:

  • Mom returned from India. I let Dad have her all to himself for the day but we talked on the phone.
  • Irene phoned. I always like it when she does.
  • The drier repairman came and fixed the clothes drier which has been broken since Thursday. phew.
  • I got all of the backed-up orthodontics claim forms filled out and ready to go in the mail (that means we will get some money back).
  • I cleared off two computer desks and the table in the hallway that were filled with miscellaneous junk.
  • I organized the volunteer list and schedule for the Christmas recital (4 shows and a dress rehearsal, about 25 parents per show so it's a big list!)
  • I read my novel for about 2.5 hours total. It's The Time Traveller's Wife. I'm loving it.
  • Kirsi came over for tea. I always love when she does.
  • The ladeez are planning birthday supper for me. They are peaches and jewels and treasures in my life.
  • I waited for Alex after school. He took us on an errand and for a practice drive. He is getting to be quite a confident and skilled driver.
  • I finally remembered to book a couple of appointments that I usually only remember in the middle of the night.
  • I made corn chowder and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper.
  • Dog and I went for a long walk and it wasn't raining.
  • I had my first chai tea of the cold and damp season. mmmm
  • I went to bed at 10.
Nothing spectacular, but the day felt like a good balance between productivity and rest. I got a bunch of things crossed off my nagging "to do" list. I stayed home pretty much all day except for the driving with Alex. It was a good day.

Question: what do you do when you have a "discretionary day?"

mompoet - not jealous of anyone's couch just now

No comments: