Monday, August 23, 2004

Mathematician's Daughter

I will
mismatch wrong coloured lids to all my tupperware bowls
leave the lid off the dry-erasable marker
put tin cans in the recycling without flattening them first
dye my hair grey 'cause I like it that way
go to the gym to get bigger - dammit!
put up my hand whenever somebody asks,
"any questions?"
especially if they don't mean it
and lie about my age.
I'm really forty-two, you see
but I prefer prime numbers so I say I'm forty-three.

from Venus in Transit copyright mompoet 2004

I have decided that I will be only prime numbers from now on. On my birthday I will turn 43 (really). One year later I will be 43 again, then 43, then 43, then 47. After that each year I will be 47, 47, 47, 47, 47, then 53. I'm just going to skip all the numbers that aren't prime numbers because I like prime numbers best. I think I like them because they are asymmetrical. Okay, I know it's weird, but I think of numbers like they are people who have personalities. My favourite people have asymmetrical personalities. I do like squares and cubes of primes too, much not as much as the real primes. So 27 is okay (3X3X3) but numbers like 5, 7, 11, 13, 47, they are magnificent.
I am not a mathematician, but my father is. So maybe it's his fault. I know he will like that I said that.

Question for today: Do you have a strange preference for something that other people just don't get?

mompoet - going out with my 11 year old to eat lopsided ice cream cones and visit the library where I will take out 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, or 11 books






No comments: