Tuesday, June 12, 2012

mr rogers

There's a re-mix youtube video of Mr. Rogers that everyone is watching these days:



I think it's okay, but I really prefer the original version of his songs. This one is a particular favourite:



I'm too old to have watched Fred Rogers on TV as a kid, but as a mom of young children I remember that Mr Rogers' Neighborhood was my favourite TV place. There wasn't a thing about the show I didn't like. Mr. Rogers' kindness and respect for all people, especially children, was exactly what I needed to give me the courage to navigate the world of stay at home mom. Mr. Rogers made it easier for me to feel caring feelings about the people around me, even on days when I was tired or discouraged or grumpy or afraid. Simplicity, humanity, empathy, respect. He modeled these for me and help me be more kind and brave.

To this day I still like to say, "When you were a little girl, did you want to be a ______?" That was one of my favourite Mr. Rogers sayings. Sometimes I just think it. Sometimes I really ask it. Recently I asked the cat, "When you were a little kitten, did you always want to be a cat?" Hmmm, I guess I AM special.

question: when you were a little boy (or girl, or kitten), did you always want to be Mr. Rogers?

mompoet - we are special


No comments: