Sunday, January 01, 2012

what we really did

The New Year's Eve party began at 4:45 in the afternoon. Several guests arrived late because of the slow service during the seniors' special hour at Denny's Restaurant. Never mind, there was plenty of room in our fridge for leftover liver and onions, brought by those who did not have time to finish their meals. A festive bowl of Ensure meal replacement drink stood at the entry door, ensuring that one and all would maintain a life-sustaining blood sugar level throughout the evening.

We tuned in to watch that young buckaroo Dick Clark ring in the New Year in Times Square in New York, but were disappointed to find out that it didn't start until 10:30pm Eastern time, which is 7:30pm Pacific time (where we are) and so much to late for us. So we played Canasta instead.

After my husband spiked the Ensure bottles with a bit of sherry, we got frisky and decided to play the well-known seniors' party game, musical dentures. Everyone took their teeth out and plopped them in the punchbowl. I doled out cups of punch. Whichever pair of dentures you got, those were the ones you wore. We took photos. Hilarity ensued. When I get the film developed I'll photocopy the pictures and pass them around to all the guests. That should be in about March or April, because I didn't totally finish the roll. There's a couple of shots left which I don't want to waste, so I'll save it for the next time I take pictures, like Easter, then get them developed.

We had all just eaten supper at Denny's, so of course we weren't hungry, but of course there's never going to be enough to eat, so we all filled our plates up with the treats that everyone brought. Meals on Wheels must have delivered tilapia and peas this week, because there was a lot of tilapia and peas, plus a fruitcake that I think has been making the rounds for a couple of years. It was good that the food was soft because we were all working with unfamiliar teeth.

About 5:15 we put on party hats and got noisemakers. My neighbour Ethel says she doesn't need a noisemaker because her husband George makes a noise everytime he stands up or sits down in his chair. So George got ready to stand up and sit down a few times. Then we counted down 10-9-8-7... but we forgot the numbers a couple of times so it was a good thing we started early. We shouted Happy New Year sometime around 5:30. Then Gertie's husband Eric said, "WHAT?" because he had his hearing aid turned down because you would too if you had to live with Gertie. So anyway we had to count down again so Eric could hear it this time. Then it was almost 6 o'clock and we didn't want to miss Jeopardy on TV so everyone went home.

Dear young adult children, nieces and nephews, I hope that this fulfills your idea of how we OLD people celebrate new year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR (what???)

mompoet - not so very old

No comments: