Wednesday, March 14, 2012

answering in full sentences

Fiona and I were in a coffee shop. She was drinking hot apple cider. I was drinking an Americano. I offered her a sip, and she declined. "What is an Americano, anyway?" she asked me. I explained, to the best of my knowledge, including a little detour into trivia: Waves coffee shops call it a "Canadiano." Fiona smiled, then she said, "You would be good for talking when they film you, so they can edit parts out."

WHAT?

I asked her if that was supposed to be a compliment. She clarified. She told me that when I answer a question, I use a full sentence, beginning with reference to the question itself. That reminded me of what I heard Alex tell the interview subjects for one of his documentary films: "Please try to include the question in your answer." When an interview subject includes the question in his or her comments, it makes for a full explanation of the subject at hand, and eliminates the need for the interviewer's voice in the finished film.

So I can't remember what I said about Americano, but I must have begun with, "An Americano is..." According to Fiona, not everyone answers questions in this manner.

Later, we were at home. I was working on Fiona's income taxes. She asked me, "What's on a T-4 slip?" I can't remember what I said in reply, but she shouted out, "Full sentence!"

"Sure is!" I replied, then I added "Sentence fragment!"

question: do your children have you figured out?

mompoet - usually pretty consistent, but sometimes unpredictable

No comments: