Monday, May 21, 2007

Banana Guard Chronicles Part 1 - A Perfect Fit

The banana guard FAQs state

The Banana Guard was specially designed to accommodate the majority of banana sizes. Our testing indicates that over 90% of commercially available bananas will fit into the Banana Guard. Highly curved bananas can be straightened ever-so-slightly without harm to fit the Banana Guard shape. The opposite holds true of very straight bananas.

Yesterday, I bought a handsome hand of bananas. This morning, while Nelson the rat was sleeping, I stole the banana guard, and tested it to find out how well my typical bunch of bananas would fit.

There are seven bananas in the bunch (I bought 8, but Alex ate one before I could test it.) The four curvy bananas on the outside of the bunch all fit nicely. I copied the illustration on the banana guard website, and placed the stem of the banana in the curvy end of the banana guard. This works well, and makes me suspect that Lori's banana at the office last week would have fit had we tried this inverted arrangement. I suspect we view our bananas without including the stem in the mental picture that we make. Our banana schemata is limited to the body of the fruit, excluding the stem. It's as if the stem is meaningless to those who are banana-eaters. I wonder if it is different for banana-growers. Clearly, the banana guard-makers overcame this during their product research and development. Anyway. Turn the banana around and put the stem in the curve and voila! curvy bananas fit (at least my 4 did).

The three innermost straight bananas defied "gentle bending" as described in the banana guard FAQ page. Had I bent them enough to fit, they would have split their skin, thus defeating the protective purpose of the guard.

Suggestion for purchasing bananas intended for banana guard protection/transportation: When choosing a hand of bananas, break out the outer row of fruit. These are more curvy than the inner row. Leave the inner, straighter bananas for those who carry their bananas unprotected, or perhaps sheathe them in used paper towel rolls.

question: do you see the stem?

mompoet - now I see it

No comments: