Thursday, December 02, 2004

What the Holly Hill is a Quire?

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,
Jack Frost nipping at your nose,
Yuletide carols being sung by a QUIRE?

Come on! That has to be the lamest rhyme ever. I love Christmas carols (scroll down for a list of my favourites) but some of them were written by sub-poets at best.

Choir does not rhyme with fire any more than Jesus rhymes with cheeses or freezes. How about Christ and spiced? or Bethlehem and I've got phlegm? or mistletoe and This'll blow? or mincemeat and Grinch feet? I know these are not from real carols, but they are about as acceptable to me as fire and QUIRE.

My favourites:

Silent Night
Away in Manger - sung low to high, then high to low, or both at once (try to do that all by yourself)
We Wish You a Merry Christmas
The Twelve Days of Christmas (but only as a way to annoy people and find out how long they can smile through clenched teeth)
Oh Come All Ye Faithful
Rockin' around the Christmas Tree
Frosty the Snowman (but only with the extra Thumpity thump thump chorus)
The First Noel

Question: Do you tolerate or enjoy seasonal songs?

mompoet - humming Tanenbaum

No comments: