Thursday, January 31, 2013

camp kitchen crockpot supper

My friend Dave loaned me his 5-ingredient slow cooker cookbook. I copied a bunch of the recipes into my online recipe box. I have tried a couple and so far they are easy and delicious. I think I'll be using them during our renovation.

On Monday, I made Chicken and Yams with Honey Mustard Sauce.

I peeled some yams and cut them into chunks, and put them into the bottom of the crockpot with an onion, sliced up. You could use sweet potatoes instead of yams. I have tried both and they are equally delicious in this recipe. Then I put about 2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs on top of the yams.

The recipe calls for a half cup of honey-mustard salad dressing. I don't use bottled dressings so I concocted my own, which technically makes this a more-than-five-ingredient recipe, but that's okay with me. Just so you know, I used the juice of half an orange, a squirt of liquid honey, a dollop of dijon mustard, a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper. I poured this mixture over the chicken, turned the cooker on to low, and went to work.

The chicken was cooked to a lovely, stew-y done-ness by the time Alex had to leave for work in the late afternoon. Andy turned down the cooker and kept the supper warm until I got home.

Even though I added just 1/2 cup of liquid, enough moisture came out of the other ingredients to make a bit of a broth. When I have a stove, I drain out most of the broth just before serving, and reduce it in a saucepan, to make a richer sauce, just before serving. Having no stove, I skipped this step and it was still delicious, for supper Monday, and lunch at work on Tuesday. Even though we are using our camp kitchen, I am still bringing wonderful packed lunches to work, but that's another blog post...

question: do you use a crock pot?

mompoet - 5 ingredients (give or take) is a very good thing sometimes

No comments: